Get the Grand National day 3 winners from the Aintree Festival
Results from Aintree matter most of all today, with Grand National day 3 winners including the world’s most famous steeplechase. Here at Horsebetting.com, we provide results that tell you who was successful on the final day of this meeting.
EFT Systems Handicap Hurdle Result
- Hometown Boy 6/1F (Ciaran Gethings, Stuart Edmunds)
- J’Ai Froid 11/1 (Max Kendrick, LJ Morgan)
- Tea Clipper 8/1 (Rachael Blackmore, Tom Lacey)
- Ashtown Lad 14/1 (Harry Skelton, Dan Skelton)
- Whirling Dervish 12/1 (Ricky Doyle, JF Levins)
The first of Grand National day 3 winners represented the same trainer as the horse successful in the last on Ladies Day. Hometown Boy landed a gamble and raced prominently throughout with a three-length success over the progressive J’Ai Froid. Tea Clipper was beaten an additional 4 3/4 lengths back in third.
Mersey Novices’ Hurdle Result
- My Drogo 5/4F (Harry Skelton, Dan Skelton)
- Minella Drama 12/1 (Brian Hughes, Donald McCain)
- Guard Your Dreams 28/1 (Sam Twiston-Davies, Nigel Twiston-Davies
- Ballyadam 11/4 (Rachael Blackmore, Henry De Bromhead)
My Drogo made a big impression when finally stepping into Grade 1 company and routed his rivals in the Mersey. Despite getting hampered by the fall of Lucky One in the back straight, a patient ride saw him make otherwise unimpeded progress. Suddenly, main market rival Ballyadam found nothing and finished out of the frame. My Drogo ran out a 9 1/2 lengths winner over Minella Drama, who was home just ahead of outsider Guard Your Dreams.
Maghull Novices’ Chase Result
- Shishkin 1/8F (Nico de Boinville, Nicky Henderson)
- Funambule Sivola 14/1 (Charlie Deutsch, Venetia Williams)
- Gumball 16/1 (Tom O’Brien, Philip Hobbs)
Shishkin, one of the star attractions on Grand National day, never gave anyone who took his long odds-on price an anxious moment. He did enough to land the spoils for a 3 1/4 lengths from second-favourite Funambule Sivola. The front two pulled a further 20 lengths clear of Gumball back in third. Elvis Mail was a faller.
Liverpool Hurdle Result
- Thyme Hill 5/2F (Tom O’Brien, Philip Hobbs)
- Roksana 7/2 (Harry Skelton, Dan Skelton)
- Thomas Darby 28/1 (Jack Kennedy, Olly Murphy)
- Decor Irlandais 50/1 (Jody McGarvey, Noel Kelly)
Another of the Grand National day 3 winners saw Tom O’Brien step out of the shadow of the retired Richard Johnson aboard Thyme Hill and take the Liverpool Hurdle. Run as the Ryanair Stayers Hurdle, his freshness after missing Cheltenham proved the difference. He prevailed by a neck over Roksana, who had settle for second in this Aintree race again. The front two pulled 4 1/4 lengths clear of Thomas Darby in third. Paisley Park, the previous star of the staying division, was pulled up while outsiders filled the minor places.
Betway Handicap Chase Result
- Happygolucky11/4F (David Bass, Kim Bailey)
- Johnbb 9/1 (Jonathan Burke, Tom Lacey)
- Spiritofthegames 7/1 (Harry Skelton, Dan Skelton)
- Calipso Collonges 22/1 (Sean Bowen, Olly Murphy)
Happygolucky went one better than his runner-up effort on the opening day of the Cheltenham Festival with a 2 3/4 lengths success over Johnbb. This was also compensation for jockey David Bass, who fell two out on Ladies Day went in front in the Grade 1 Mildmay Novices’ Chase. Spiritofthegames for the Skelton was third, just ahead of Calipso Collonges.
2021 Grand National Result
- Minella Times 11/1 (Rachael Blackmore, Henry De Bromhead)
- Balko Des Flos 100/1 (Aidan Coleman, Henry De Bromhead)
- Any Second Now 15/2 (Mark Walsh, Ted Walsh)
- Burrows Saint 9/1 (Patrick Mullins, Willie Mullins)
- Farclas 16/1 (Jack Kennedy, Denise Foster)
By far the most important of Grand National day 3 winners was Minella Times in the big race. Rachael Blackmore made more horse racing history as the first woman to win the world’s most famous steeplechase. She led home a 1-2 for trainer Henry De Bromhead with 100/1 shot Balko Des Flos beaten 6 1/2 lengths. Any Second Now was back in third, well ahead of Burrows Saint and Farclas as Ireland had the first five home.
Grade 2 Bumper Result
- Knappers Hill 8/1 (Megan Nicholls, Paul Nicholls)
- Peking Rose 50/1 (Paddy Brennan, Fergal O’Brien)
- Stage Star 22/1 (Harry Skelton, Paul Nicholls)
- Luttrell Lad 16/1 (Tom O’Brien, Philip Hobbs)
Finally, the Grade 2 bumper went to father-daughter duo of Paul and Megan Nicholls with Knappers Hill completing his hat-trick in this National Hunt Flat race. Most horses at Aintree don’t fare well when held up. This was the exception to the rule, however, as he made progress through the field to get up on the far side rail for a half-length win over outsider Peking Rose. Nicholls stable companion Stage Star was also a close third.